Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Father-Daughter Bond, Page by Page

As a bookish person, I frequently have books on the mind. My ears perk up in public when I overhear others talking about books. I always strain my eyes to read people's book covers. And of course, I am always drawn to news stories about reading and literature. I am sure my fellow bloggers can relate.

I recently stumbled up on this human interest piece in the New York Times about a father and daughter who read aloud to each other for years. It actually brought tears to my eyes (okay I am a little sensitive and I'm always a sucker for father/daughter relationships). I want reading to be as much of a passion for my future children as it is for me. I've heard reading aloud is the best way to do that.

What about you? Did your parents read aloud to you? Do you like reading aloud? What reading traditions did you have in your family?