Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Desert Island

Hello, all! We here at the Blue Bookcase have decided to embark upon a new weekly adventure.This fine idea was established by our friends over at The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday, we will take turns giving you our top tens regarding specific situations.
Today I, Julie, will favor you with the Top Ten Books I'd Want On A Desert Island!

 Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl. I'm sure I'd probably need to be searching for meaning while trapped on a desert island. And this guy knows where it's at.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. This is the best book ever written. The one I could read weekly. The biblical symbolism and commentary on the origins of sin would probably come in handy as I began a whole new society of my own.

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I know, I know, I'd be asking for it taking this to a desert island with me, but I can't help it. It would go, hands down.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Tied for first with East of Eden.

We're going to assume they will eventually anthologize all of Ian McEwan's publications, so that I can include The Complete Works of Ian McEwan in my island stash. Brilliant writer.

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. I have never laughed so hard in my life as when I read this book. I'm sure I'll need a little comic relief after those hard days of being threatened by island creatures and gathering rainwater.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.On this desert island, I would have an unlimited supply of bark to write on, and a big box of ballpoint pens. I'd bring this book because it's a fine guide to writing as well as a fine collection of stories.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. Never has a book held more wisdom.

The Roald Dahl Omnibus. I know we're all familiar with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Witches, etc, but Roald Dahl also writes stories for grownups that are disturbing and fascinating as all get-out. This is a great collection of them.

What are the books you'd take to a desert island?

Thanks again to The Broke and The Bookish for providing us with this idea. Look forward to our weekly installments!