Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Lucia's Favorite Adaptations


Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted over at the Broke and the Bookish, and I (Lucia) was glad to have a crack at this week's topic. I imagine there will be some controversial lists out there as often when we read, we create our own mental images. I am often disappointed, though sometimes surprised, to see how texts are interpreted through film, yet everyone has a different version planned in their mind.


1. The Princess Bride (by William Goldman). A wonderful and very funny film which I would recommend over the book.


2. The Constant Gardener (by John Le Carre). The way that this was filmed reflected well the way in which I imagined the story unfolding.


3. Pride & Prejudice (by Jane Austen). I'm talking about the recent (fairly) film. I think it really highlighted some of Austen's humour which I believe is lost on many. Who else finds Austen funny?


4. Matilda (by Roald Dahl). Probably the first book I remember reading. I loved the film as a kid, because I thought the characters were outrageous on their own, even without Dahl's deliciously twisted descriptions.


5. Memoirs of a Geisha (by Arthur Golden). While I didn't think that the book was mind blowing, I believe that it translates well to film because it is so visually rich. If you were to watch the film with the sound off, I'm positive you would be just as entertained by the stunning visuals.


6. In Her Shoes (by Jennifer Weiner). I don't read much chick lit, but I quite enjoyed this book, as did I find the film bubbly and entertaining. I do also like Toni Collette.


7. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (by Alexander McCall Smith). This is just a delightful TV interpretation. I would say it's the most accurate adaptation of a book I've seen, yet it's manages to be unique and humorous in it's own right.


As I no more great adaptations come to mind, I'm going to list the final three a little differently.


8. Brideshead Revisited (by Evelyn Waughn). The most recent film. Worst adaptation I've ever seen.


9. The Importance of Being Ernest (by Oscar Wilde). As a play and film, I've seen many great and playful adaptations, however I've never actually read it. I'd love to see how it was originally intended to be produced, so I'm lucky it's on my prescribed reading list for my lit class this semester.


10. The Shifting Fog (by Kate Morton. Also published as The House at Riverton). As far as I know, this has not been made into a film, however I'd be interested to see it done. To me, the author's style creates beautiful images which would be lovely in film.


Have a great week!