Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top Ten Minor Characters


HELLO! This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is minor characters. I (Lucia) was strangely interested to tackle this one because I do spend a lot of time thinking about minor characters, especially as they often supply some essential aspect of the story.

Lady Bracknell from The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I usually wouldn't call her a minor character because she's so integral to the play's ridiculousness. However, but for the fact that she loves poking her nose into other people's business, she really needn't bother herself with the goings on of the other characters.

Mr Bingley from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Forget Darcy. I'd like to marry silly Mr Bingley.

Violet Brown from The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. Quite a sweet character, I think. See Christina's review of the book here.

Anna from The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal. In a memoir of his family, the author didn't know the surname of his great grandparents' maid, so she's just Anna. Secondly, from this book, Elizabeth, de Waal's grandmother. If I didn't already have two grandmothers, I'd want her to be mine. Both women do individually unbelievable things.

Huizi from 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo. Fenfang, you must take care of your life. Not bad for what I'm sure is this character's only piece of dialogue.


Luna Lovegood
from the Harry Potter series by J. K Rowling. She made me really want horseradish earrings.

Ellen Ash from Possession by A. S Byatt. Not as trivial as she allows herself to be perceived to be.
Have a good week!