Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday Freebie


When I saw this week's topic at the Broke and the Bookish, I thought about what I'm reading at the moment and why, and came up with my Top Comfort Books. Like comfort food, these are the books I turn to when I need to know how everything is going to turn out and I'm guaranteed to be satisfied.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I re-read this when I was in Italy and the only two books my host family had in English was this and Romeo and Juliet.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. This is one of my favourite books, and I like to go back to it every now and again just because it's so familiar.

Harry Potter by J.K Rowling (the whole series). When I need to get out of this world.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares. This is probably one of the only real teenage fiction I got into, and I liked it because it was so easy to relate to.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This is the book I'm re-reading at the moment. In a class today, someone asked if I got something new out of it every time I read it and I think I do. I'm always in a different part of my life when I pick it up, so I feel like I approach it differently each time. Plus, I'm studying law so I understand that aspect better but question it also.

Here I stop, because it would be untrue to say that I loved re-reading any other books. However, since it's freebie week, I'll continue with by Top Books I Would Never Touch Again. Not necessarily because they were horrible, or I didn't like them, I just wouldn't pick them up if I were in the mood for a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry.

Possession by A.S Byatt. I absolutely loved this book, and would put it on a list of my favourites. But it was a struggle to get through.

Atonement by Ian McEwan. Read Christina's review here.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. This is my comfort film.

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. Actually haven't finished this one, and will probably go back to it in a few years time, but at the moment I don't think I can stomach the intense language.