Friday, November 11, 2011

Off The Shelf 2012 Challenge

I've decided that 2012 is going to be The Year I Read All Those Books I Own (or have borrowed) that I still haven't gotten to. Luckily for me, there's a challenge for that! Bookish Ardour hosts the Off the Shelf challenge, which I hope will be just the kick in the pants I need.

I'm going to aim nice and medium-low with the "Making a Dint" challenge level. That means committing to read 30 books from said TBR shelf in 2012. Thirty sounds like a nice round number, one that will motivate and not discourage me. Here's a tentative list of the books I'm thinking about, give or take a few and in no particular order:

**EDIT! It's now the beginning of January (the 2nd, to be precise) and I've decided to change this list a bit to give priority to books I've borrowed from friends or received from publishers. I also deleted the ones I thought I might hate, and I feel so much better now.

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker
Science Ink by Carl Zimmer
The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories by Joseph Gordon-Leavitt
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
Cairo Modern by Naguib Mahfouz
Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
What Is the What by Dave Eggers
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
Collected Stories by Vladimir Nabokov (I've actually been reading these one by one for several years, but I'm going to actually finish reading the volume and review it in 2012 so I think it still counts)
Voluntary Madness by Norah Vincent
Dubliners by James Joyce
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (Can I do it? Maybe. With Ingrid's help.)
My Life in France by Julia Child
Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
Deadly Choices by Paul A. Offit
Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay
Anarchy Evolution by Greg Graffin and Steve Olson
Three Junes by Julia Glass
The Glass Harmonica by Dorothee E. Kocks
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg


Wooooah. Why have I been thinking about this like it's a hard thing? Look at how many awesome books I have just waiting on my shelf! Bring it on, 2012. I am PUMPED.

post by Christina