Friday, May 21, 2010

The Red Tree by Shaun Tan

It's time for another post about one of my all-time favorite books!  This time, it's a picture, children's book, that I think should be owned by children of ALL ages, even grannies and grampies.

Reviewed by Connie

Published: 2003

It's about: This is a different sort of book than the ones we usually post about on here -- in total, it probably has less than 50 words.  It consists mainly of Tan's unique style of illustration -- a fusion of painting and collage.  It tells about those mornings when you wake up, and it doesn't seem like there's anything at all to look forward to.

I thought: This is one of the, maybe THE most beautiful book I have experienced.  I stumbled across it several years ago when I worked in the book section of an entertainment store, and it made me cry right there on the spot.  It is one of those rare beauties that is so simple and so perfect, it speaks right to the heart of your soul.  The images are stunning, and the occasional wording synthesizes with it to create -- really, an experience.

Verdict: Stick it on the shelf!!!  But a really good, sturdy shelf, because I bought this a few years ago, and my cheap, fake shelf couldn't hold all my books, and the shelf above this book fell down on top of this book and ruined the dust jacket, and I got really, really, really upset.

Reading Recommendations: Read this book any time, any where, and frequently.

Warnings: None whatsoever.  Unless you only like happy, dragon tales sorts of children's books.

Favorite excerpts: Sometimes the day begins with nothing to look forward to . . . darkness overwhelms you, nobody understands.