Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Top 10 Tuesday: Hilarious Book Titles


Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish, we have ourselves the Top 10 Tuesday today. This week? 10 hilarious book titles. I scoured Amazon for these, and it was really, really fun to do this. It made my day.

1. I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert - It took me a couple of glances to realize that there were no typos. Looking inside this book, I also discovered lots of praise about this book...coming from Stephen Colbert himself.

2. He Just Thinks He's Not That Into You: the Insanely Determined Girl's Guide to Getting the Man She Wants by Danielle Whitman - the description does it better than I can:

Are you not one to take “I don’t want to date you” for an answer? Do you consider the day the court ordered you to keep your distance merely the day your relationship entered a new phase? Then you’ve already figured out that despite what other books may try to tell you: He Just Thinks He’s Not That Into You. This book is built on one solid principle: men don’t know what they want, so it’s up to you, the strong, loving, forceful women of the world, to show them. Written as a series of letters to an insanely-determined advice columnist, this book is full of savagely funny answers, plus useful tips and success stories on stalking and holding onto the one you love-with handcuffs if necessary. Pie charts, bullet points, and wacky illustrations complete the satire. Has the bag boy at the supermarket been telling you to “have a nice day”? Danielle says “he means ‘with me’! Grab that in-store special and take him home. Soon the grocery aisle won’t be the only aisle you’ll be walking down!”

3. If You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home by Erma Bombeck - Never have truer words been spoken. I look like a convict in my own photo.

4. Chicken Poop For the Soul: Stories to Harden the Heart and Dampen the Spirit by David Fisher - the premise of this book reminds me of the site F My Life, which I highly recommend, by the way. If you're the type of person who laughs at others' misfortunes and steals candy from babies and kicks puppies, this is the book for you.

5. Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale - The book itself is pretty funny, but the fact that you rarely see those two words put together just makes it all the more appealing.

6. My Point...And I Do Have One by Ellen Degeneres - I now use this expression in daily conversation, thanks to Ellen here.

7. Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons by Bill Watterson - oh, Calvin and Hobbes. How much joy you bring me.

8. The Thing About Life is that One Day You'll Be Dead by David Shields - Studies have shown that 100% of people in their lifetime will encounter death. Who knew?

9. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers - because it really is heartbreaking to be so much smarter than everyone else.

10. Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi and Amanda Mayer Stinchecum - Both the title and the names of the authors are hilarious. Is that wrong of me to laugh at their names?