Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Christina Wants Santa to Bring

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Hooray, it's Tuesday! In the spirit of Yuletide cheer and general wantiness, I hereby publicly propose that Santa bring me the following books. (Or anything else from my lengthy amazon wishlist!)

1. Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy
2010 brought the birth of my son and the naming of him: Jude. Suddenly it is silly and embarrassing that I haven't read this book. Actually, I've never read anything by Thomas Hardy. Is this a good place to start?

2. Tree of Codes, by Jonathan Safran Foer
Mr. Foer sculpted this story from my number 3. I mean, he actually cut his own story out of another book. [Photographic evidence at left.] This idea fascinates me; I've never actually seen the book in person. I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

3. The Street of Crocodiles, by Bruno Schulz
I need to read this so that I have a frame of reference for my number 2. Besides, it's Jonathan Safran Foer's favorite book, and I probably like everything he likes because he's, like, so so cool and smart and kinda good-looking, too. Moving on...

4. I Was Told There'd Be Cake, by Sloane Crosley
I've had this on my wishlist ever since reading this review back in the early days of The Blue Bookcase. Despite the middling reviews, I'm still eager to read it. It just sounds like my kind of book. The title makes me chuckle.

5. Tinkers, by Paul Harding
Pulitzer prize winner! And it's only $5.98!

6. Celebrity Chekhov, by Ben Greenman
When I first heard this book mentioned on npr, I misheard it as "Celebrity Check-off," which isn't nearly as interesting as what it really is: a collection of Anton Chekhov's famous stories, recast with the celebrities we all love and hate. A gimmicky abomination? Comic gold? I'll never know if Santa doesn't bring it to me!

7. Snow or My Name is Red, by Orhan Pamuk
I've never read anything by this author, and I've wanted to for ages. I believe these are both early novels and I think he's had some published more recently. Which one should I read first?

8. Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, by Sylvia Plath
I added this to my wishlist back in ought 6. I love The Bell Jar, the poems, the Unabridged Journals. So as gifts go, Johnny Panic is a pretty safe bet.

9. Anything by Norman Mailer
I've been wanting to get a taste of this guy ever since reading this quotation:
"Sentimentality is the emotional promiscuity of those who have no sentiment."
[And here's a photo of him (taken by Diane Arbus!) in case you're wondering what kind of person would say such a thing.]
Again, I don't really know where to start; he has a huge oeuvre. Recommendations? Anyone?

10. This is Your Brain on Music, by Daniel J. Levitin
Every time I find out about a book that brings together music and science/medicine, I get a little giddy. I'm hoping this one will be something like Oliver Sacks' wonderful Musicophilia.

Have a great holiday, everybody!