Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Guest Review: Paint it Black by Janet Fitch

Hello there, good readers of the Blue Bookcase.  We've got another delectable treat for you today -- another guest review from the very awesome Beth from Cadavre Exquis.  Thanks for stopping by, Beth.

Well, hello there book readers of the internet! My name is Elizabeth and my dear friend Connie has asked me to be a guest reviewer on this here book blog. Of course, I said I would be tickled pink! I'm 21 and none too interesting really.  I work at a bagel cafe, spend most of my time reading/watching/doing disturbing things, hang out with my bunny, siblings and lover face, and just generally am a goth girl.

So, some bookish info on me, a few of my favorite authors are Poppy Z. Brite, Anne Rice (surprise right?) Vladimir Nabakov, Stephen King (again shocker!) Poe, and Jean M. Auel. A few of my favorite books are Exquisite Corpse, The Earths Children series, The Sight, Taming the Beast. I should not have started this list because now it could go forever. Any whoooooooo...
I also talk too much!
FINALLY! Here's my review for a book I picked up recently.

Paint It Black: A NovelPublished: 2007

It's about: Paint it Black is the story of poor Josie Tyrell, art model, actress, and denizen of LA's punk rock scene. Sadly, just when she thinks she's found love, he blasts that idea out of reality. Literally, he blows his brains out. (don't worry it's not a spoiler. You find that out in the first few pages.)
 
Now that he's gone, Josie is left alone to deal with the grieving process and also the question of why. Why did he do this horrible thing? As she searches out reasons she is forced to come to terms with the black parts of their relationship. All the while she is inexplicably drawn to his mother who blames Josie for her sons death. The two women eventually end up in a twisted relationship based on their own selfish need.

I thought: I really enjoyed this book. The characters were all very colorful and interesting to read about. The story was dark, sad and depressing. I did, however, find the characters a bit one dimensional, I think it's more the fact that in this situation it would be hard to be anything but your grief and this shows that fairly well. I had a love/hate thing going on with all the characters throughout the entire book.

To summarize, this book had wonderful imagery, passionate (though annoying) characters, and shows how two very different types of love for one person can bring about a surprising alliance between two very different people.

Verdict: Stick it on the shelf

Reading Recommendations: I recommend this to anyone who has read, and enjoyed, Fitchs first novel, White Oleander.

Warnings: As with almost anything I review, if I review on here again, this is a dark book. Suicide is the main theme, graphic sex, violence, drugs, language and even violence to animals. Ye Be Warned.