Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Healing Power of Literature

I came across this great article in the UK Telegraph, in which Emma Thompson discusses how reading Jane Austen helped her through a severe bout of depression after her first divorce.

“Sense and Sensibility really saved me from going under, I think, in a very nasty way.”
 The article goes on to discuss other books that people have found have helped them get through difficult times in their life, such as the hospitalization of loved ones or the rigorous process of chemotherapy.

I personally related to this article, because I really believe in the healing power of reading -- and of writing.  Books have also helped me handle, confront, and escape debilitating feelings of hopelessness.

Head on over to that article and tell me, what do you guys think?  And what books have you read to help you through difficult times?