Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond

Reviewed by Liesl


Published: 2010

It's about: A villain named Lord Arkus is driven from his home when thwarted by his nemesis, Prince Kellemar. He swears revenge, and in his plotting, attempts to capture a "gormack," a sort of demon that would aid him in his revenge. Instead he inadvertently captures a "sparkling," also a magical creature. Arkus binds the sparkling, whom he names Jarvi, to serve him for 5 years. Only problem is, it is in the nature of a sparkling to only do good deeds - not evil.

I thought: It was rather difficult to get into at first. However, once I was into the story, I enjoyed the plot. It was easy to predict a few things, which bothered me, and I wished to see more females in the story. There are only males in this entire story with the exception of two very minor females. I wish we had more back story on certain elements in the story and had a more established relationship between protagonist and antagonist. However, the relationship between Jarvi and Arkus is entertaining, and Arkus has an amusing narrative, and becomes quite endearing once you see him care about people other than himself.

Verdict: I'd say somewhere in between. I didn't find it amazing, but it was entertaining.


Reading Recommendations: It's a pretty light read, so you could finish it in one sitting if you'd like.

Warnings: Zero.

Favorite excerpts: Yes, you have guessed it. I am a villain. What? You wanted a noble hero? Well, tough. You've got the wrong book then.

"Arkus, you are despicably wicked," he began.
Blatant flattery, I noted. He wants something from me.