Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Words


Hallo! The time cometh for another belated Top Ten Tuesday (as stolen from the Broke and the Bookish) from me, the procrastinator! Today's, or rather tonight's, is all about favorite words, which of course, I can't even narrow down to ten. Schade.

Huzzah -An archaic English interjection of joy or approbation. Apparently, it means "the last hurrah." I say this word far more than any other word I ever say. Used as an expression of delight, it brings me delight merely to say it.

Fetus - The young of an animal in the womb or an egg. Now, let's all say it together. Fetus. Fetus fetus fetus. FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSS. Also, there's a book called What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters. Awesome!

Sasquatch - A very large, hairy, humanoid creature reputed to inhabit wilderness areas of the U.S. and Canada, esp. the Pacific Northwest. Also, Bigfoot. One can only derive true joy from saying this word with a nasal voice.

Defenestrate -To throw out the window. First time I heard of this word, I laughed for about 20 minutes. History nerds: who can tell me about the Defenestrations of Prague? What wars did they start?

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Fear of long words. All I can say is, I have a fear of attempting to even pronounce this cruel joke of a word. It's kind of like putting an "s" in "lisp."

Omphiloskepsis - The act of contemplating one's navel. 'Nuff said.

Antipenultimate - Next to next to last. The truly lazy man's word of words.

Peckish - Somewhat hungry, or rather irritable. I can only say this word with a British accent.

Flee - To run away; take flight. Whenever I want to leave somewhere, I usually tell someone, "Let us flee this dreadful place." They usually get the hint.

Vengeance - Infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person; violent revenge. This word always reminds me of that one scene in the live-action movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas: "Santa, what's Christmas all about?" "VENGEANCE!"


Man, I wish I could've listed more words! Ah, well. If you're feeling the need for more delicious words to roll off the tongue, I highly recommend this video. It is awesomeness.