Friday, December 3, 2010

Ingrid's End of 2010 survey


Post by Ingrid 

As my inaugural post as the new chief moderator of The Blue Bookcase, I present you with my answers to this end of 2010 survey. 

...Actually, I just saw this over at The Perpetual Page-Turner and thought it would be fun to fill out.

1. Best book of 2010? 
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (my review)
2. Worst book of 2010?
Pamela: Or Virtue Rewarded by Samuel Richardson
3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann (my review)
4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott (my review)
5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
No More Goodbyes: Circling the Wagons Around our Gay Loved Ones by Carol Lynn Pearson

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?
Didn't read any series books this year.
7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
Joseph Campbell, Tao Lin, Geraldine Brooks, Jonathan Franzen, Anne Lamott
8. Most hilarious read of 2010?
The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall (my review)
9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (see no. 1)
10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
Richard Yates by Tao Lin (my review)

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
I read the Briggs translation of War and Peace this year, and I really like the chandelier on the cover:
 

(my post on War and Peace)
12. Most memorable character in 2010? 
The Judge from Blood Meridian was probably one of the most fascinating/horrible characters I encountered this year.  (my review)
13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
One Hundred Years of Solitude (currently reading)
14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? 
No More Goodbyes: Circling the Wagons Around Our Gay Loved Ones by Carol Lynn Pearson
15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway


If you want to fill out this survey, head over to The Perpetual Page-Turner and add your link to the list!