Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Covers and Titles

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic, hosted over at the Broke and the Bookish, asks do you judge a book by it's cover? Or title? Yep, sure do. This is my (Lucia's) list of top ten prettiest/ most colourful/ interesting/ eye catching/ weirdest covers and titles which were the main reason I parted with my hard earned cash on the over priced buggers.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This title and cover combination meant it's story was about a circus. Sold. Read Connie's review here.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Needless to say, it was the title that got me here. I didn't even know people put peel (other than of a citrus fruit) into pies. But a society which discussed literature on an island on the English channel while eating a pie made out of the peel?


The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
by Lola Shoneyin. This cover was just so so pretty I couldn't go past it. The blurb was interesting too, although the story mostly didn't deliver.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbury. Another lovely cover and quirky title masking a story which I really didn't like.


The End of Everything by Megan Abbott. This cover reminded me of summer which I am well and truly ready for (end of uni/ exams, going to the beach, Christmas). While this book is very disturbing, it is one of the best I have read all year. Hopefully I'll get a
review up.


I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes by Jaclyn Moriarty. Because don't we all?

A Fraction of the Whole

by Steve Toltz. Okay, so this book has been sitting on my shelf unread for two years since it's cover sucked me in.


The Children's Book by A.S Byatt. Another lovely cover of a book I haven't read yet. I'll admit I'm often drawn to shiny things.


A Pocketful of Eyes by Lili Wilkinson. Since I always thought eyes belonged in the head, I was curious.

Good Oil by Laura Buzo. This title reminded me of my mother telling me not to use the 'good oil' (ie, the olive oil which my grandparents made) to fry vegan sausages. The book, on the other hand, has nothing to do with oil, but is one of the best
young adult novels I have read. I highly recommend it even to those who generally don't read the genera (I don't).