Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Lucia's Childhood Favourites


This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted over at the Broke and the Bookish, I (Lucia) knew would be easy. But choosing ONLY ten childhood favourites... I think picking Christmas gifts for small children is the most fun of all holiday gift buying. So!

Fantastic Mr Fox and The Twits by Roald Dahl. The former is the first book I remember reading by myself and the latter I recently read to some French kids who referred to it as 'Les Twits.'

Hazel Green and Antonio S and the Mystery of Theodore Guzman

by Odo Hirsch. After reading Hazel Green I decided I would be either a baker or a florist (not happening), and also become that really ballsy neighbourhood kid (think Flavia de Luce of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie). I actually don't really remember what Antonio S was about or what happened but I definitely remember enjoying it.

Possum Magic by Mem Fox. Classic! And with very
beautiful illustrations.


Holes by Louis Sachar. This was probably the most complicated plot I had read at the time, and boy was that appealing.

Peter Pan by J.M Barrie.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares. Does thirteen still count as a child? Legally yes, I guess. This was the first 'teenage' fiction book that I read and recently reread.

The Upside-Down Girl by Justin D'Ath. About a girl who rides a roller coaster so many times she becomes 'degravitised.'


The Gift of the Gab by Morris Gleitzman. Rowena is literally dumb, but still manages the gift of the gab. You can read the first chapter here.

Have a good week!