Monday, January 7, 2013

Ingrid's Top Ten of 2012 & Reading Stats

Mmmmm. 
I read 104 books in 2012! This was the first full year I was not in school, so I made reading a priority. (In other words, I used reading as a way to avoid other priorities...) I downloaded this spreadsheet and had all kinds of fun meticulously tracking all my reading details. Here's what happened in 2012:

I read 104 books. 66 written by women, 33 written by men, 5 written by both men and women. I read a total of 30,353 pages averaging 82.9 pages per day. I read 34 books on my Kindle, 18 free review copies, 13 books from the library, 32 books I bought for myself. The rest were either borrowed or given to me as a gift.

I did not count any books in my final count that I did not finish. There were a few duds that I forced myself through, but I liked the majority of books I read in 2012. Here are my top ten favorites:

1. The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch (my review)
2. Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me by Javier Marias
3. Blue Nights by Joan Didion (my review)
4. Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
5. A Tale For the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
6. Possession by A.S. Byatt
7. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
8. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters
9. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (my review)
10. The Book of Mormon Girl by Joanna Brooks (Christina and Connie's review)

Honorable mentions: Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet by John G. Turner, The White Album by Joan Didion, Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton, The Round House by Louise Erdrich

I did a fairly good job actually writing reviews at the beginning of the year, but once I moved to a new place and started working for a bookstore in August, my reviews tapered off. In 2013 I hope to push myself to read challenging books and actually write about them!

What were your favorite books you read in 2012?