Thursday, December 9, 2010

Literary Blog Hop: Dec 9-12

Welcome to this week's Literary Blog Hop hosted by The Blue Bookcase!

This blog hop is open to blogs that primarily feature 
book reviews of literary fictionclassic literature, and general literary discussion


How do I know if my blog qualifies as "literary"? Literature has many definitions, but for our purposes your blog qualifies as "literary" if it focuses primarily on texts with aesthetic merit. In other words, texts that show quality not only in narrative but also in the effect of their language and structure. YA literature may fit into this category, but if your blog focuses primarily on non-literary YA, fantasy, romance, paranormal romance, or chick lit, you may prefer to join the blog hop at Crazy-for-books that is open to book blogs of all kinds.


Instructions for entering the Literary Blog Hop:



1. Grab the code for the Button.





Literary Blog Hop




2. Answer the following prompt on your blog:


(Suggestions for future prompts? Email them to us at thebluebookcase@gmail.com)


What is one of your literary pet peeves?  Is there something that writers do that really sets your teeth on edge?  Be specific, and give examples if you can.

Our answer this week comes from
Christina:


I have lots of readerly pet peeves.  Any kind of punctuation or grammatical error is almost always an automatic deal-breaker, but I'm pretty sure everyone within the Literary Blogging world will agree with me there.  So I feel like I need to come up with something a little more original.  Luckily, Mr. Dave Eggers has recently reminded me of one thing writers do that I HATE.  See if you can spot it:





Yeah.  Dialogue that goes on for more than a page without a single "he said" or "she said."  I inevitably lose track of who is saying what, and then I'm just muddling through, waiting for the author to throw me a frickin' bone, some kind of hint, so that I can get back on track.  Often I'll read the entire excerpt several times, trying to picture the conversation correctly.  Sometimes I get so confused that I actually wonder if the author himself forgot which character was which. 

Is anyone else bothered by this? Plenty of good, literary writers do it!  It drives me berserk!

(P.S. - The above photo is from A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.  My review of it will be up Friday.)



3. Add your link to the Linky List below.





Happy Hopping!