Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want to Reread

Hello Hey Hi Howsitgoin'? It's Tuesday, I'm Christina, and below are my Top Ten Books I Want to Reread. I can count on one hand the books I have read more than once, and I have a lengthy tbr list so I'm not planning on making rereading a new habit. But when I do think wistfully about books I should revisit, these are the ones that I find myself pondering:

1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
This one jumped into my head immediately since I just read it earlier this month. I mentioned in my review that I think it would fare well with a reread. I think I would get more out of it and enjoy it more the second time around.

2. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
I read this in... 4th grade? 5th? It was a long time ago, but I loved it. The plot is awfully fuzzy in my memory, but the basic idea- A bunch of heir hopefuls meet at an estate to play an elaborate game, the fortune being the prize- is so tantalizing and clever (if I am even remembering it accurately). I really need to revisit this one soon.

3. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
There was a period, in 11th or 12th grade, when I regularly cited Ethan Frome as my favorite book. Would I love it as much now as I did then?

4. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
Here's another childhood favorite that I don't remember much about. But something about it must have endured in my subconscious, because many years later when I saw The Royal Tenenbaums, I recognized the reference.

5. A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer
Another YA book! I'm sensing a theme here. I love that this survival book features a GIRL. Not that I didn't love The Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain, but those guys didn't have to deal with the trauma of having their very first menses while surrounded by wild animals. Nhamo rocked my world.

6. Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Bray Pipher
I find myself typing it again: There was a time when this was my favorite book. I identified with so many of the girls' experiences, and I liked that I was only a mildly difficult teenager compared to most of them. I should revisit it when my own daughter is closer to adolescence, but I'm worried that so much in our society will have changed by then that Reviving Ophelia will seem dated. Hm.

7. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
I think I was about 10 when I read this. I remember loving the danger and adventure of it, but at this point I have no idea what it was about. And apparently it's the first in a series? Maybe I'll save this one until my daughter is a little older, too, so that we can enjoy it together.

8. Atonement by Ian McEwan
As you may recall from my review, I loved this book. I love the movie, too, and it's one of only a handful that I watch again and again. I can see this book working itself into a regular habit if I ever let myself start rereading books.

9. Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster
Remember Choose Your Own Adventure books? Yeah, that's what this is. I can definitely see myself revisiting it soon. Peep my goodreads review if you want to know a little more about it.

10. Go Ask Alice by "Anonymous" (Beatrice Sparks)
I really hate this book, so let me explain why I'm interested in rereading it. When I read it I totally fell for the idea that it was nonfiction, but really Beatrice Sparks made up most or all of it because she wanted to scare teens away from doing drugs. I HATE the whole idea of manipulating people with lies, and so I've avoided this book for the last 10 years or so. But now I'm actually kind of curious about it all over again. How shocking would it be to me now that I know it's false? Would I see through it and wonder how I could have ever believed it? I mean, would it seem obviously fake to me now?

What about you? Do you reread books often? What makes a book a good reread? Can't wait to see everyone's lists!