Friday, April 15, 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Books Connie'd Like to See As Movies

This post is obviously EXTREMELY late in coming up, but I had already written most of it ahead of time and was really excited about it, then my internet at my house decided to crap out for three days straight (Monday through Wednesday). Ugh. So I'm posting it anyway. Because it was fun.


Welcome back for another installment of Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by our friends over at the Broke and Bookish. This week, I, Connie, get to list the top 10 books I'd like to see made into movies. As a book fanatic and a film nut, I am particularly interested in this topic!

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- I know they're already working on this (they cast that Winter's Bone chic as Katniss, which I feel okay about), but I'm really excited about this. It was a fast-paced book that I found very easy to visualize (read my review of the triology here). I think it will make a fun film if they do it right.

2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein -- All right, Peter Jackson, you're making it, you're not making it -- make up your mind, because some of us REALLY want to see this tease of a movie.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald -- This book makes the list, because I am specifically excited about seeing Baz Luhrmann's (a genius of the big screen) interpretation, starring some of my favorite actors, including Carrie Mulligan and Leonardo DiCaprio.
4. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Ruth Pennebaker -- (my review) Remember when I reviewed this book last week and compared it to watching an indie movie about a quirky, dysfunctional, but lovable family? This book has a lot of potential to become just that. Plus, the situational humor could be brilliantly brought to life in the hands of the right director.

5. Life of Pi by Yann Martel -- Because who doesn't want to see a movie with a Bengal tiger, a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra, and a fourteen-year-old boy thrown together on a life boat in the middle of the ocean?

6. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini -- I thought the film adaptation of The Kite Runner was excellent, so I'd love to see the same team interpret this moving book by the same author.

7. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle -- (read my review here) I need to qualify this one. I know there is a Disney version of this movie, which I haven't seen, but already I can see that Disney and this book are a mismatch. I would not enjoy a direct representation of this book on film; I would like to see a filmmaker take LOTS of creative liberties, flesh out the story more (especially the ending), really play with the visuals. I think this book has the potential to, in the right hands, become a strange but captivating, visually stunning, film. But it would need to be the right person -- perhaps a more restrained, sophisticated Tim Burton? Alfonso Cuaron?

8. Illusions by Richard Bach -- Love this book. It would be interesting to see this unique, religious piece brought to life. Though I may be the only one who thinks so.

9. The Awakening by Kate Chopin -- This film wouldn't be for everyone, just as the book isn't for everyone, but played by the right actress (Nicole Kidman?), I bet this story of a woman in search of her identity could be an Oscar-worthy performance.