Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Gifts from Ingrid

Happy Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish)!
Pretty button stolen from Mint Tea and a Good Book
These are my top ten books I, Ingrid, would love to give as gifts (if I had unlimited funds!) Links are to my reviews.

To Connie, I would give Composing a Life by Mary Catherine Bateson. Connie loves books about women's studies and the specific experience of women in the world. I read this book last year and loved it. I think Connie would love it too.

To Christina, I would give Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. Not only does Christina has a very cute little boy named Jude, but I also happen to think that Christina would love this book. It was one of my favorites that I read this year.

To Lucia, I would give Laughing Boy by Oliver La Farge. Lucia is our one reviewer that doesn't live in the U.S., she's from Australia! I've heard that Australia has beautiful red rocks like the Southwestern United States. My husband great up in the Southwest and I think it's probably my favorite part of the U.S. I would love for Lucia to get a taste of the Southwest!

To my mom, I would give The Marriage Plot (link to Christina's review) by Jeffery Eugenides. My mom loved Freedom by Jonathon Franzen. My mom was an English major in college. My mom was in college when this book takes place. My mom would love this book.

To Derik, (that's my husband,) I would give the Arden Shakespeare version of Henry IV. My husband is a wonderful person. One of the things that drew my to him when we first started dating was his genuine and endearing love of Shakespeare. I would love to buy this beautiful scholarly edition for him.

To my brother, Soren, I would give Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. The reason I loved this book is mostly because it reminded me of my brother. I would love to someday give it to him as a gift.

To my Dad, I would give A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. My dad likes clean, modern design and appreciates simplicity. He also loves the experience of sitting in a European cafe and reading a book. These two things together somehow = this book.

To my cousin Rob, I would give Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. My cousin sometimes reads this blog, and he even wrote a Reading List post for us once. I know Rob likes non-fiction, and this book is one of my favorite non-fiction books that I've ever read. I think he would like it. (If he hasn't read it already ... have you, Rob?)

To my grandma, I would give Peony in Love by Lisa See. My grandma loves to read and she loves to travel. (She's actually in India right now!) I've noticed that Grandma often loves books about different cultures. Peony in Love is one of my favorite books that takes place in China. I think my Grandma would love it.

To Jillian, I would give March by Geraldine Brooks. Jillian blogs over at A Room of One's Own. Jillian is one of my favorite book bloggers. I happen to know that one of Jillian's favorite books is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. She also has recently been blogging about reading the Transcendentalists and Bronson Alcott. This book is a about the March sisters' father - and Geraldine Brooks based his character on Bronson Alcott. This book was MEANT for Jillian to read.

I wish I could give all these gifts to all these people! One of my favorite things in the world is giving people gifts, ESPECIALLY if those gifts are books. Actually, you know what ... if you are on this list and you comment on this post, I will buy you a used copy of the book on Amazon.com and have it sent to you. Love you all!